Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
Red, brown and yellow lithograph certificate of recognition, with hand colouring and lettering. It is headed; "AUSTRALASIAN FEDERATED / BUTCHERS' UNION / QUEENSLAND BRANCH / ESTABLISHED MAY 5TH 1890". A coat-of-arms is below, which is flanked by two winged bulls rampant on a red background, and the motto "OMNIA / SUBJECI ET SUB PEDIBUS / OVES ET BOVES" in a yellow scroll. "Presented to Robert Baillie Esq, / for Services Rendered the above Union as Secretary at Mackay from 1908 to 1910". It is signed by "Edwin A. Kelly PRESIDENT" / "John T. Gilday SECRETARY". The seal pasted onto the bottom proper left corner indicates that the certificate was issued by Trades Hall, Brisbane. The certificate is buckled and stained.
The Andrew Reeves collection consists of twenty-three trade union certificates used in Australia from 1860-1970. They are generally in good condition considering their age, use and material (paper based). They cover a range of Australian worker's unions, including a number which either were amalgamated into larger unions or ceased to exist.
The period between the 1850s and the 1970s spans a key time in the development, working condition gains and various ebbs and flow of Australian trade unions. Certificates in this collection document achievements including the eight hour work day but also allow reflection on the dwindling support for unions during the 20th century. In addition, as the designs of Australian certificates follow the centuries old British tradition of union emblems they provide examples of links between worker's organisations in Australia and England.
W 480mm x H 610mm x D 1mm
Date of production
Place of publication
Place of issue