Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

The Misses Deane

2005.0005.0130

On display

The Misses Deane

Object information

Physical description

A rectangular brass name plate for a door. There are two screws welded to the back with a bar linking the two, with two diamond-shaped washers on each screw. The etched lettering on the front of the name plate is painted in black and inscribed 'THE MISSES DEANE'.

Statement of significance

The Springfield Collection comprises about 1550 artefacts from Springfield station, south of Goulburn. It includes colonial era costume, a bushranger medal, surveying instruments, a late-19th century landau, firearms and edged weapons, wool samples and Joseph Foveaux's pocket watch and bible. The objects are complemented by over 400 photographs. This diverse collection reflects the growth and economic success of the property, responses to changes in the wool market and the daily lives of the people who have lived on Springfield.

Springfield has grown from a 518-hectare land grant given to William Pitt Faithfull in 1828 to the current 3183 hectares with ownership remaining in the one family. William Pitt Faithfull established the Springfield Merino Stud in 1838 with ten rams selected from the Macarthur Camden Park stud. The stud evolved slowly over the years until the early 1950s when, under the management of Jim Maple-Brown, a scientific approach to wool-growing was adopted and the stud's name was changed to Fonthill to reflect this.

Physical description

On display at the National Museum of Australia.

Object information

Back to top