Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

The Book of Common Prayer.

2005.0005.0298

The Book of Common Prayer.

Object information

Physical description

Book of Common Prayer has a brown hardback cover with gold edging and the title "COMMON PRAYER" printed on the spine.The book has brown marbled end papers, and information on the title page is "THE BOOK OF / COMMON PRAYER /.../ OXFORD: /../ 1772"; published by T. Wright and W. Gill. Handwritten on the title page "Robt Deane / Sept 28th 1823". Handwritten on the back of title page "Mrs Deane / 3 Southampton Place".

Statement of significance

The Springfield Collection comprises about 1550 artefacts from Springfield station, south of Goulburn. It includes colonial era costume, a bushranger medal, surveying instruments, a late-19th century landau, firearms and edged weapons, wool samples and Joseph Foveaux's pocket watch and bible. The objects are complemented by over 400 photographs. This diverse collection reflects the growth and economic success of the property, responses to changes in the wool market and the daily lives of the people who have lived on Springfield.

Springfield has grown from a 518-hectare land grant given to William Pitt Faithfull in 1828 to the current 3183 hectares with ownership remaining in the one family. William Pitt Faithfull established the Springfield Merino Stud in 1838 with ten rams selected from the Macarthur Camden Park stud. The stud evolved slowly over the years until the early 1950s when, under the management of Jim Maple-Brown, a scientific approach to wool-growing was adopted and the stud's name was changed to Fonthill to reflect this.

Object information

Back to top