Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
No related object types for the search.
Black and white photogravure Christmas card. A green card mount with cut-out for image placed off-centre to left. Embroidered flowers and leaves in pink, red, rust and gold around top right hand side of mount. Some embroidery missing. gold edge to mount . Floral paper on interior side of brown paper backing. Frame holds an image [handpainted photogravure] of two young girls, both with long hair, wearing tailored coats with lace collars. The girl on the left wears a yellow skirt and holds a doll which is wearing a pale blue knotted scarf. The girl on the right wears a pink skirt and holds a doll wearing a bonnet trimmed in red. Printed in gold lettering at front of image "A Happy Christmas / from the Dolls / and from the little Mothers too. / Raphael Tuck & Sons/ Copyright". Handwritten on back of image "Best Wishes / from Leatie [?].
The Springfield Collection comprises about 1550 artefacts from Springfield station, south of Goulburn. It includes colonial era costume, a bushranger medal, surveying instruments, a late-19th century landau, firearms and edged weapons, wool samples and Joseph Foveaux's pocket watch and bible. The objects are complemented by over 400 photographs. This diverse collection reflects the growth and economic success of the property, responses to changes in the wool market and the daily lives of the people who have lived on Springfield.
Springfield has grown from a 518-hectare land grant given to William Pitt Faithfull in 1828 to the current 3183 hectares with ownership remaining in the one family. William Pitt Faithfull established the Springfield Merino Stud in 1838 with ten rams selected from the Macarthur Camden Park stud. The stud evolved slowly over the years until the early 1950s when, under the management of Jim Maple-Brown, a scientific approach to wool-growing was adopted and the stud's name was changed to Fonthill to reflect this.
W 145mm x H 195mm x D 2mm