Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Envelope containing documents relating to the Deane family

2005.0005.1448

Envelope containing documents relating to the Deane family

Object information

Physical description

Black and white photograph mounted on cream board. Depicts a cemetery with headstones and one large monument in foreground bearing names of Deane family. "Beneath are Buried/ THOMAS DEANE 1760. 61Y/FRANCES DEANE 1764. 64Y/ROBERT DEANE 1800. 64Y/ MARY DEANE 1805. 74Y/ JOHN OSBORN DEANE 1817. 14 MOS/ PHILLIS DEANE 1819. 34 Y/ THOMAS DEANE 1826. 59Y/WILLIAM DEANE 1836. 67Y/ WILLM ROBERT DEANE 1839. 20Y/ ELIZABETH DEANE 1843. 65Y"
Handwritten on back of photograph "St Leonard's/ Churchyard/ Exeter/ Phogrd/April 1869". Photograph contained in envelope with handwritten inscription on front "M Ma W. Percy Faithfull Esq. Mend/ St Leonard's Churchyard". Handwritten on back of envelope "What do they charge for taking small parcel from Sydney to Bangalore?/ That I may tell Pearl/ The The". Piece of paper also with the above handwritten information from tombstone.
Includes parts .001 to .003

Statement of significance

The Springfield Collection comprises about 1550 artefacts from Springfield station, south of Goulburn. It includes colonial era costume, a bushranger medal, surveying instruments, a late-19th century landau, firearms and edged weapons, wool samples and Joseph Foveaux's pocket watch and bible. The objects are complemented by over 400 photographs. This diverse collection reflects the growth and economic success of the property, responses to changes in the wool market and the daily lives of the people who have lived on Springfield.

Springfield has grown from a 518-hectare land grant given to William Pitt Faithfull in 1828 to the current 3183 hectares with ownership remaining in the one family. William Pitt Faithfull established the Springfield Merino Stud in 1838 with ten rams selected from the Macarthur Camden Park stud. The stud evolved slowly over the years until the early 1950s when, under the management of Jim Maple-Brown, a scientific approach to wool-growing was adopted and the stud's name was changed to Fonthill to reflect this.

Object information

Back to top