Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Lucian and Ethel Faithfull. Bridal Welcome, 22, May 1895

2005.0005.0840

Lucian and Ethel Faithfull. Bridal Welcome, 22, May 1895

Object information

Physical description

Black and white photograph mounted on grey board. Depicts a crowd of people along the side of a road, all facing the camera. In front of them, in profile, seated in an open carriage are Lucian and Ethel Faithfull. A man in a top hat is sitting in the coachman's seat and the carriage is drawn by two dark horses. To the right, there is a floral archway and a banner with the words "BRIDAL WELCOME/ MAY 22 1895". Under this archway, there is a pale coloured horse to the right of which are standing two women. The one on the left wears a long skirt, light-coloured blouse, a long jacket and straw boater. To the right of her is Lilian Faithfull wearing a long dark coloured dress with a white collar. Handwritten on back of mount "Welcome to Lucian and Bride". Duplicate of IR 3550.0195.

Statement of significance

The Springfield Collection comprises about 1550 artefacts from Springfield station, south of Goulburn. It includes colonial era costume, a bushranger medal, surveying instruments, a late-19th century landau, firearms and edged weapons, wool samples and Joseph Foveaux's pocket watch and bible. The objects are complemented by over 400 photographs. This diverse collection reflects the growth and economic success of the property, responses to changes in the wool market and the daily lives of the people who have lived on Springfield.

Springfield has grown from a 518-hectare land grant given to William Pitt Faithfull in 1828 to the current 3183 hectares with ownership remaining in the one family. William Pitt Faithfull established the Springfield Merino Stud in 1838 with ten rams selected from the Macarthur Camden Park stud. The stud evolved slowly over the years until the early 1950s when, under the management of Jim Maple-Brown, a scientific approach to wool-growing was adopted and the stud's name was changed to Fonthill to reflect this.

Object information

Back to top