Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
W 190mm x H 139mm x D 10mm
Three black and white photographs bound in an album. One depicts Lilian and Florence Faithfull seated by a round table with a small dog on a carpet-covered stool to the left. Florence is seated on the right with her left profile facing the camera; she holds a tea cup with a lily-of-the-valley design on it. Both women are wearing a floral corsage. The second photo depicts a group of figures on verandah at Springfield; two men and nine women. Florence Faithfull is seated in the centre of the photograph with Lucian Faithfull lying on the floor to her left. Lilian Faithfull standing on Florence's right and Pearl Faithfull sitting on a step in front of them. Other figures unidentified. The third photograph depicts a studio portrait of Lilian Faithfull sitting in a rowing boat; Amy Marr sitting to her right outside the boat.
The Springfield Collection comprises about 1550 artefacts from Springfield station, south of Goulburn. It includes colonial era costume, a bushranger medal, surveying instruments, a late-19th century landau, firearms and edged weapons, wool samples and Joseph Foveaux's pocket watch and bible. The objects are complemented by over 400 photographs. This diverse collection reflects the growth and economic success of the property, responses to changes in the wool market and the daily lives of the people who have lived on Springfield.
Springfield has grown from a 518-hectare land grant given to William Pitt Faithfull in 1828 to the current 3183 hectares with ownership remaining in the one family. William Pitt Faithfull established the Springfield Merino Stud in 1838 with ten rams selected from the Macarthur Camden Park stud. The stud evolved slowly over the years until the early 1950s when, under the management of Jim Maple-Brown, a scientific approach to wool-growing was adopted and the stud's name was changed to Fonthill to reflect this.