Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
No related object types for the search.
Black and white oval-shaped portrait photograph mounted on cream board. Depicts Constance Faithfull in profile, facing right, wearing a dark hat and coat with a corsage. Handwritten at lower right edge of image "C.M. Faithfull".Printed in lower right hand corner "Arthur Powell / YORK STUCIO / 57 FLEET ST / TORQUAY". Handwritten on back " No. 4542".
The Springfield Collection comprises about 1550 artefacts from Springfield station, south of Goulburn. It includes colonial era costume, a bushranger medal, surveying instruments, a late-19th century landau, firearms and edged weapons, wool samples and Joseph Foveaux's pocket watch and bible. The objects are complemented by over 400 photographs. This diverse collection reflects the growth and economic success of the property, responses to changes in the wool market and the daily lives of the people who have lived on Springfield.
Springfield has grown from a 518-hectare land grant given to William Pitt Faithfull in 1828 to the current 3183 hectares with ownership remaining in the one family. William Pitt Faithfull established the Springfield Merino Stud in 1838 with ten rams selected from the Macarthur Camden Park stud. The stud evolved slowly over the years until the early 1950s when, under the management of Jim Maple-Brown, a scientific approach to wool-growing was adopted and the stud's name was changed to Fonthill to reflect this.
W 222mm x H 337mm x D 2mm