Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
No related object types for the search.
Banner of white sheeting, bound on three sides with blue and green checked gingham and the fourth side has mustard-coloured fabric binding. Handstitched.
Painted crest of kangaroo and emu on either side of shield. Shield divided into quarters with star in centre and at each point of cross; a sheep, ship, anchor and bushel of wheat depicted in the quarters.
Painted: "WELCOME/ ... HOME".
The Springfield Collection comprises about 1550 artefacts from Springfield station, south of Goulburn. It includes colonial era costume, a bushranger medal, surveying instruments, a late-19th century landau, firearms and edged weapons, wool samples and Joseph Foveaux's pocket watch and bible. The objects are complemented by over 400 photographs. This diverse collection reflects the growth and economic success of the property, responses to changes in the wool market and the daily lives of the people who have lived on Springfield.
Springfield has grown from a 518-hectare land grant given to William Pitt Faithfull in 1828 to the current 3183 hectares with ownership remaining in the one family. William Pitt Faithfull established the Springfield Merino Stud in 1838 with ten rams selected from the Macarthur Camden Park stud. The stud evolved slowly over the years until the early 1950s when, under the management of Jim Maple-Brown, a scientific approach to wool-growing was adopted and the stud's name was changed to Fonthill to reflect this.
W 1360mm x H 750mm