Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
W 200mm x H 240mm x D 220mm
A black spotted net lace day cap, trimmed with cream grosgrain ribbon and torchon bobbin lace. A black spotted tulle section at the back has two rows of cream bobbin lace, each trimmed with a double row of cream satin ribbon with a picot edge. The front section has a row of cream bobbin lace at the centre of the head, and a band of cream grosgrain ribbon with one decorative scalloped edge. At the top centre is a rosette of looped cream satin ribbon with a picot edge. The brim around the face has rows of cream bobbin lace, cream net lace and cream looped satin ribbon with a picot edge. There are two cream grosgrain ribbon ties with a picot edge, one narrow and one wide, at each side. An internal wire frame support is covered with stiffened net. Paper adhesive label on left side, inscribed in pencil "88".
The Springfield Collection comprises about 1550 artefacts from Springfield station, south of Goulburn. It includes colonial era costume, a bushranger medal, surveying instruments, a late-19th century landau, firearms and edged weapons, wool samples and Joseph Foveaux's pocket watch and bible. The objects are complemented by over 400 photographs. This diverse collection reflects the growth and economic success of the property, responses to changes in the wool market and the daily lives of the people who have lived on Springfield.
Springfield has grown from a 518-hectare land grant given to William Pitt Faithfull in 1828 to the current 3183 hectares with ownership remaining in the one family. William Pitt Faithfull established the Springfield Merino Stud in 1838 with ten rams selected from the Macarthur Camden Park stud. The stud evolved slowly over the years until the early 1950s when, under the management of Jim Maple-Brown, a scientific approach to wool-growing was adopted and the stud's name was changed to Fonthill to reflect this.