Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
Larger images unavailable
Pocket compasss used by John Collinson Close, an 'assistant collector' on the Australasian Antarctic Expedition of 1911-1914, led by Douglas Mawson.
A pocket compass in a square wooden case with brass hinges which open from the rear of the case, and a brass clasp at the front of the case. The name 'CLOSE' is engraved on the lid. The compass is circular and has a blue needle with the letters 'S' and 'N' printed in a golden colour. Printed text around the centre of the compass reads 'FLAVELLE BROs & Co / SYDNEY & [?]'.
This collection comprises objects belonging to John Henry Collinson Close, a member of the Australasian Antarctic Expedition (AAE) of 1911-1914, led by Dr Douglas Mawson. It includes a telescope and case; pocket compass; Bryant and May matchbox (used to keep Close's Morse code); diary entries and letters from Close to his wife Alice (three on AAE letterhead); a hand-stitched canvas pouch with a label written by Close in ink, containing two rock samples collected in Antarctica and sent to Alice by supply ship in 1912; a copy of Life Magazine from September 1914; newspaper cuttings of eight articles written by or referencing Close; three typescript letters, including correspondence from Douglas Mawson; handwritten copies of two poems, including one by Tennyson; a newspaper cutting of a Douglas Stewart poem; and a registered envelope addressed to Close.
The John Collinson Close collection dates from the 'heroic era' of Antarctic exploration, perhaps the last great period of geographical discovery on Earth. It demonstrates key events in a story that led to Australia's claim over 42% of the continent. Linked to this story, and to this collection, are simultaneous ties to the old notions of Empire and the assertion of a new national identity. Close's private letters and journalism reveal the contrast between the personal experiences of a lesser-known expeditioner and a venture, overshadowed by a mythologised leader, now abstracted into the national memory and imagination.
W 50mm x H 15mm x D 50mm
Used by Close on the Australasian Antarctic Expedition of 1911-1914, led by Douglas Mawson
Place of use