Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
A riding jacket made from black suit fabric with a silky black synthetic fabric lining. The hip length jacket is fitted around the waist and flares out around the hips. The jacket features lapels and set-in sleeves with two small, black plastic, buttons on each cuff. The jacket has a pocket on the left breast and a pocket at hip level on either side of the front of the jacket. The single-breasted jacket is fastened together by two black plastic, buttons. A small metal hook and eye is located above these buttons and serves to fasten the base of the lapels together. The jacket has a single back vent. On the inside back of the jacket, below the collar is a cream coloured rectangular synthetic manufacturer's label. The label features a small blue coat of arms motif in the top left corner, beside which is the blue text "W. CHORLEY & CO. PY. LD. / GEORGE STREET SYDNEY". Beneath this text, on the same label, written in black hand-written script is "Mrs J L Burton / 3722 16.8.46". Above this label is a small loop of black tape, possibly there to hang the coat up on or attach a lanyard to.
The collection consists of documents, photographs, scrapbooks, clothing and other memorabilia from the careers and personal lives of Emma (Emilie) Roach, a well-known and successful equestrian, and her husband John (Jack) Burton, who made several record-breaking drives in motor vehicles across Australia during the 1910s and 1920s.
Born in Narrandera, New South Wales, in 1898, Roach began equestrian competition at the age of 10, and continued through most levels and types of competition, remaining an unpaid amatuer, until her retirement in 1955. Her main competitions and successes were in the show-ring. After Burton and Roach married in 1925, they lived in Sydney for many years and travelled from there to agricultural shows in New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland where Roach would compete and Burton worked in motor vehicle sales and writing articles for motoring magazines.
W 580mm x H 730mm x D 40mm
Place of use