Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Souvenir cup from the opening of Old Parliament House on 9 May 1927

1994.0024.0001

Souvenir cup from the opening of Old Parliament House on 9 May 1927

Object information

Physical description

White china cup or mug with a gold rim and stripe on the handle, which has two illustrations on the sides. One is of the Australian flag and the Union Jack on either side of a wreath, inside which is a kangaroo with joey. The words 'Australia a Nation. May 1927. To commemorate the opening of the Federal Parliament House Canberra.' are above and below the illustration. On the other side of the cup is a depiction of the Parliament House. Underneath the illustration are the words 'The Capitol.' Canberra. Opened by T.R.H. the Duke and Duchess of York. May 1927.'

Object information

Back to top