Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Link Trainer flight simulator, RAAF No. A13-34, used to train pilots at 10 EFTS, Temora, 1941-1945

1982.0101.0001

Link Trainer flight simulator, RAAF No. A13-34, used to train pilots at 10 EFTS, Temora, 1941-1945

Object information

Physical description

Link Trainer flight simulator, RAAF No. A13-34; complete with instructor's table and controls; Links Trainer handbook; and instrument maintenance documents. It is fully restored to its original World War Two configuration and it is operable. A diary of its restoration is included.

Statement of significance

The collection consists of Link Trainer A13-34, one of several trainers in service with the RAAF during the Second World War, and associated archival material. These trainers provided student pilots with practical instruction in the fundamentals of instrument flying while in a safe classroom environment. Student mistakes were easily detected by instructors and readily corrected. The Link Trainer was engineered to simulate the movement and cockpit indications of a real aircraft, as the forerunner to the sophisticated flight simulators used by modern pilots. Students could practice full radio, navigation approaches to an airfield, with environmental factors such as wind speed and drift also computed for realism.

A13-34 was manufactured in 1942 at the JVW Corporation in Canada and was used at the Temora No. 10 Elementary Flying Training School (10 EFTS), established by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) in May 1941. No 10 EFTS was the largest and longest lived of the flying schools established under the Empire Air Training Scheme during World War Two (WWII). After the war it was sold to the Royal Victorian Aero Club, located first at Essendon and then at Moorabbin. In 1961, the trainer was purchased by the Department of Civil Aviation and extensively modified for use as in airworthiness surveyor training in Melbourne. A13-34 was then placed in storage by the Department of Transport before being transferred to the National Museum. The Museum approved the subsequent restoration of the trainer to its war service condition by No.3 Aircraft Depot, RAAF Base Amberley, Queensland, in 1988.

Object information

Back to top