Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
You need permission to reuse this image. Photography, supply and licensing fees may apply.
A conical mask of tapa cloth on a cane frame, with a beaked mouth, circular eyes, and projecting ears. The base terminates in concentric cane rings bound together. The mask is painted white, with red on the mouth, nose, and brow, and black around the eyes.
On display at the National Museum of Australia.
W 380mm x H 915mm x D 400mm
Collected before May 1923, when catalogued at the Australian Museum, Sydney.
Approximate date of transfer to Institute of Anatomy, Canberra.
Possible collector. Employed as Patrol Officer, later Resident Magistrate, Papua from c.1921 and 1947.
Colonial administrator during the Australian colonial occupation of the Territory of Papua (now the southern portion of Papua New Guinea) between 1907 and c.1940.
Ethnographer and cataloguer, Australian Museum, Sydney, 1899-1932.
Founding Director, Australian Institute of Anatomy, Canberra, 1930-1937.
Place where collected in Territory of Papua, before May 1923.
Place catalogued at Australian Museum, May 1923.
Transfered from Australian Museum to Institute of Anatomy, 1933.
Transferred from Institute of Anatomy to National Museum of Australia, 1984.