Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Fishing hooks inside cigarette tin

2005.0105.0200

Fishing hooks inside cigarette tin

Object information

Description

This fishing tackle was with the fly fishing equipment that belonged to Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge, who was a keen fisherman. During the 1930s, he and some friends spent some time camping and indulging his passion for fly fishing for trout near the Crackenback river in the Snowy Mountains in New South Wales.

Physical description

A group of twenty-four fishing hooks in a cream envelope, inside a rectangular metal, red and gold cigarette tin with a flip top lid. The single barb hooks are in two sizes. The envelope has a top opening flap and the text 'Flathead / Hooks' is handwritten in pencil on the front. A discoloured cream label is adhered to the tin lid and has the text 'Flathead / Hooks' handwritten in blue ink. Inside the lid the red painted text reads 'When / only the best / will do / BENSON and HEDGES LTD / SUPER VIRGINIA CIGARETTE'. The tin is corroded in patches and the label has brown marks on the surface.

Statement of significance

This collection comprises over two hundred objects belonging to the Rutledge family of 'Gidleigh', a pastoralist property first established near Bungendore, NSW, in 1855. The collection includes tools used for agricultural practices, animal and household management, and equipment used for fly-fishing and horse-riding. Collectively, these objects illustrate aspects of rural life and domestic activities undertaken most notably by Jane (Jean) Ruth Morphy Forster Rutledge (1853-1932) and her son Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge (1889-1958) during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

This collection is illustrative of broad areas of Australian social history including pastoralism, medicine and veterinary science, and domestic and recreational lives. The land at 'Gidleigh' was first granted to Admiral Philip Parker King (1791-1856) in 1834, and was subsequently purchased in 1855 by Irish settler Thomas Rutledge (1817-1904) to run sheep and cattle. The family owned and managed the property for 150 years until 2005. This collection offers significant research potential into both rural self-sufficiency, and agricultural and veterinary technologies.

Object information

Where

Back to top