Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Fishing flies inside red cardboard box

2005.0105.0190

Fishing flies inside red cardboard box

Object information

Description

This box of fishing flies belonged to Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge, who was a keen fisherman. During the 1930s, he and some friends spent some time camping and indulging his passion for fly fishing for trout near the Crackenback river in the Snowy Mountains in New South Wales.

Physical description

A group of three fishing flies inside a square red cardboard box with a removable lid. Two flies are brown and red with one fly brown and white speckled. The black printed text on the label reads 'JM Gillies / TROUT FLIES / COLLEGE CRESCENT / CARLTON / M OURNE, N.3 / Tel ----- F3707'. The letter 'T' is also handwritten in crayon on the label. On the side of the lid there is partial white label attached with the text 'NAME assted / QUANTITY doz SIZE ' printed and handwritten in black ink.

Statement of significance

This collection comprises over two hundred objects belonging to the Rutledge family of 'Gidleigh', a pastoralist property first established near Bungendore, NSW, in 1855. The collection includes tools used for agricultural practices, animal and household management, and equipment used for fly-fishing and horse-riding. Collectively, these objects illustrate aspects of rural life and domestic activities undertaken most notably by Jane (Jean) Ruth Morphy Forster Rutledge (1853-1932) and her son Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge (1889-1958) during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

This collection is illustrative of broad areas of Australian social history including pastoralism, medicine and veterinary science, and domestic and recreational lives. The land at 'Gidleigh' was first granted to Admiral Philip Parker King (1791-1856) in 1834, and was subsequently purchased in 1855 by Irish settler Thomas Rutledge (1817-1904) to run sheep and cattle. The family owned and managed the property for 150 years until 2005. This collection offers significant research potential into both rural self-sufficiency, and agricultural and veterinary technologies.

Object information

Back to top