Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Fishing flies and lines inside Eumenthol tin

2005.0105.0185

Fishing flies and lines inside Eumenthol tin

Object information

Description

This fishing tackle was with the fly fishing equipment that belonged to Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge, who was a keen fisherman. During the 1930s, he and some friends spent some time camping and indulging his passion for fly fishing for trout near the Crackenback river in the Snowy Mountains in New South Wales.

Physical description

A group of twenty-nine fishing flies and three lines in a metal tin with a flip top lid. The flies are a variety of sizes and feather types. There are two brown and one green nylon fishing lines with additional flies attached. One brown line has two green flies and the other brown and green lines are intertwined with 5 flies attached. The tin has a gold and turquiose lid with black text. There are a few panels of text with 'EUMENTHOL JUJUBES', the name of the original contents at the top. The gold paint on the sides and base oof the tin have worn off in patches.

Statement of significance

This collection comprises over two hundred objects belonging to the Rutledge family of 'Gidleigh', a pastoralist property first established near Bungendore, NSW, in 1855. The collection includes tools used for agricultural practices, animal and household management, and equipment used for fly-fishing and horse-riding. Collectively, these objects illustrate aspects of rural life and domestic activities undertaken most notably by Jane (Jean) Ruth Morphy Forster Rutledge (1853-1932) and her son Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge (1889-1958) during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

This collection is illustrative of broad areas of Australian social history including pastoralism, medicine and veterinary science, and domestic and recreational lives. The land at 'Gidleigh' was first granted to Admiral Philip Parker King (1791-1856) in 1834, and was subsequently purchased in 1855 by Irish settler Thomas Rutledge (1817-1904) to run sheep and cattle. The family owned and managed the property for 150 years until 2005. This collection offers significant research potential into both rural self-sufficiency, and agricultural and veterinary technologies.

Object information

Where

Back to top