Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Dark wooden veneer trinket box with miscellaneous items

2005.0105.0115

Dark wooden veneer trinket box with miscellaneous items

Object information

Description

This trinket box belonged to a member of the Rutledge family from Gidleigh station near Bungendore in New South Wales.

Gidleigh was purchased by grazier Thomas Rutledge in 1875. It was one of a number of landholdings that Rutledge owned in the district. In 1874 Gidleigh was handed over to Rutledge's son, William Forster Rutledge. In 1882 when WF Rutledge registered Gidleigh as a merino stud, Australia's wool industry was booming. The property remained in the Rutledge family until 2005.

Physical description

A dark wood veneer trinket box and contents. The box is divided into six compartments in the base section and has a expandable document compartment inside the lid. A metal latch holds the compartment closed. The box is lined with circular patterned glossy burgundy coloured paper, and silver metal foil. Two compartments have removable lids and one has evidence of use as a pin cushion. The lock and damaged latch on the front and the pair of hinges on the back are made of brass. The escutcheon plate is missing from the lock. The bottom of the base is covered with damaged black fabric. The box is damaged by borer activity and the lining is in poor condition. Inside the box there is: a lock of blonde hair wrapped in three scraps of paper; a ring box; one plain and two floral hat pins; two white calling cards for 'Captain Morphy / Madras Army' and two discoloured cream cards for 'Mrs R.J. Morphy'.

Statement of significance

This collection comprises over two hundred objects belonging to the Rutledge family of 'Gidleigh', a pastoralist property first established near Bungendore, NSW, in 1855. The collection includes tools used for agricultural practices, animal and household management, and equipment used for fly-fishing and horse-riding. Collectively, these objects illustrate aspects of rural life and domestic activities undertaken most notably by Jane (Jean) Ruth Morphy Forster Rutledge (1853-1932) and her son Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge (1889-1958) during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

This collection is illustrative of broad areas of Australian social history including pastoralism, medicine and veterinary science, and domestic and recreational lives. The land at 'Gidleigh' was first granted to Admiral Philip Parker King (1791-1856) in 1834, and was subsequently purchased in 1855 by Irish settler Thomas Rutledge (1817-1904) to run sheep and cattle. The family owned and managed the property for 150 years until 2005. This collection offers significant research potential into both rural self-sufficiency, and agricultural and veterinary technologies.

Object information

Where

Back to top