Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
Replica of one of HMB 'Endeavour's' cannons with a lump of coral from Endeavour Reef. The coral was removed from one of the cannon barrels when their bores were drilled during the conservation process. The replica bears the following inscription: 'This is a replica of a cannon and carriage jettisoned by Lieut. Cook of H.M. Bark "Endeavour" at Endeavour Reef, Queensland. Recovered in January, 1969, by an expedition organised by the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, United States of America.'
A small-scale replica cast-iron cannon. The cannon is mounted on a wooden gun carriage painted red. It sits on a blue velvet covered board that also holds a piece of coral in front of the cannon. They are housed in a domed perspex case. Mounted on two sides of the wooden board, are two inscribed metal plates. One plate reads'THIS IS A REPLICA OF A CANNON AND CARRIAGE JETTISONED BY LIEUT. COOK ...THE SPECIMEN OF CORAL WAS REMOVED FROM A GUN BARREL AS RECOVERED'. The other plate reads ' "We not only started water but throw'd overboard our guns Iron and / stone ballast Casks, [H]oops staves oyle yars, decay'd stores& c, [a] _ _ _ " / Lieutenant James Cook R.N 11th June 1770'.
The Replica 'Endeavour' Cannon collection consists of a cast-iron and wood replica 'Endeavour' cannon and carriage, with a piece of coral from Endeavour Reef, and bears the inscription: 'This is a replica of a cannon and carriage jettisoned by Lieut. Cook of H.M. Bark "Endeavour" at Endeavour Reef, Queensland. Recovered in January, 1969, by an expedition organised by the Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, United States of America.'
The replica cannon was presented to Professor Colin Pearson AO, MBE, FTSE, FIIC, PhD, MSc, BSc by the Philadelphia Expedition, in recognition of his work on the conservation of HMB 'Endeavour's' cannons. The six of the cannons and iron ballast jettisoned in 1770 were located using a magnetometer to scan Endeavour reef. Nearly 200 years of coral growth had covered them completely. Once freed from the coral with explosives, the cannon and ballast were stabilised and conserved at the Defence Standards Laboratory in Melbourne. As an innovative conservator and academic, Professor Pearson laid the foundations of maritime archaeological conservation in Australia and established the nation's first conservation training program.
L 294mm x W 179mm x H 150mm