Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
This horse mouth gag was used on Gidleigh station, near Bungendore in New South Wales.
Tools like this were used on Gidleigh when working with sheep and cattle. Tasks included treating injuries and illnesses and ensuring stock remained healthy, as well as routine care such as feeding, watering, mustering, branding, castrating, ear tagging, weighing and vaccinating animals.
Gidleigh was purchased by grazier Thomas Rutledge in 1875. It was one of a number of land holdings that Rutledge owned in the district. In 1874 Gidleigh was handed over to Rutledge's son, William Forster Rutledge. In 1882 when WF Rutledge registered Gidleigh as a merino stud, Australia's wool industry was booming. The property remained in the Rutledge family until 2005.
A horse dental speculum mouth gag set made from steel, with brown leather straps in a beige cardboard box. The dental speculum consists of four components including two harness pieces with light brown leather straps attached and two arched shaped metal bite plates. The box has a white paper label at one end with the text 'BB / SUPREME / VETERINARY INSTRUMENTS / HORSE / MOUTH GAG' printed in black ink.
This collection comprises over two hundred objects belonging to the Rutledge family of 'Gidleigh', a pastoralist property first established near Bungendore, NSW, in 1855. The collection includes tools used for agricultural practices, animal and household management, and equipment used for fly-fishing and horse-riding. Collectively, these objects illustrate aspects of rural life and domestic activities undertaken most notably by Jane (Jean) Ruth Morphy Forster Rutledge (1853-1932) and her son Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge (1889-1958) during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
This collection is illustrative of broad areas of Australian social history including pastoralism, medicine and veterinary science, and domestic and recreational lives. The land at 'Gidleigh' was first granted to Admiral Philip Parker King (1791-1856) in 1834, and was subsequently purchased in 1855 by Irish settler Thomas Rutledge (1817-1904) to run sheep and cattle. The family owned and managed the property for 150 years until 2005. This collection offers significant research potential into both rural self-sufficiency, and agricultural and veterinary technologies.
W 266mm x H 80mm x D 140mm
The collection spans the late nineteenth to mid twentieth centuries.
The collection is associated with three generations of the Rutledge family.
This collection was used at 'Gidleigh', near Bungendore, NSW.