Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

RSVP card for the Mary MacKillop dinner

2012.0027.0013.002

RSVP card for the Mary MacKillop dinner

Object information

Physical description

RSVP card for the Mary MacKillop dinner with a background image three apricot coloured roses.

Statement of significance

The material included in this collection was assembled by the Sisters of St Joseph in relation to Mary MacKillop's canonisation on 17 October 2010. The collection consists of the large banner of MacKillop used during the canonisation ceremony in St Peter's Basilica, Rome; invitations and other items accumulated by Sr Annette Arnold during her pilgrimage; and publications, souvenirs, commemorative items and DVDs produced, purchased by, or presented to the Sisters of St Joseph.

Established by Mary MacKillop and Julian Woods in Penola in 1866, the Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart was the first Catholic Order founded in Australia and was originally dedicated to the education of poor children in South Australia. Despite struggling during its early years, the Order expanded across Australia, New Zealand, Peru and Ireland, and today there are approximately 850 Sisters working throughout the world. Shortly after MacKillop's death in 1909, the Sisters began gathering evidence for the tribunal hearings according to the procedures of the Congregation of the Causes of Saints. MacKillop was beatified in 1995, and in 2009 Pope Benedict XVI approved the second miracle attributed to the intercession of Blessed Mary MacKillop. The canonisation of MacKillop, as Australia's first saint, was the culmination of decades of work for the Sisters of St Joseph, and over 8000 pilgrims from Australia and New Zealand attended the ceremony.

Object information

Back to top