Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Cattle branding iron with the initials TR

2005.0105.0143

Cattle branding iron with the initials TR

Object information

Description

This cattle branding iron was used on Gidleigh station, near Bungendore in New South Wales.

Tools like this were used on Gidleigh when working with sheep and cattle. Tasks included treating injuries and illnesses and ensuring stock remained healthy, as well as routine care such as feeding, watering, mustering, branding, castrating, ear tagging, weighing and vaccinating animals.

Gidleigh was purchased by grazier Thomas Rutledge in 1875. It was one of a number of landholdings that Rutledge owned in the district. In 1874 Gidleigh was handed over to Rutledge's son, William Forster Rutledge. In 1882 when WF Rutledge registered Gidleigh as a merino stud, Australia's wool industry was booming. The property remained in the Rutledge family until 2005.

Physical description

A metal branding iron with the letters 'TR' shaped at one end. The letters are attached to a curved iron stem that is welded together at the end of an iron shaft. At the other end of the shaft, the metal has been bent around to form a circular loop. There is a light brown substance covering the surface of the letters.

Statement of significance

This collection comprises over two hundred objects belonging to the Rutledge family of 'Gidleigh', a pastoralist property first established near Bungendore, NSW, in 1855. The collection includes tools used for agricultural practices, animal and household management, and equipment used for fly-fishing and horse-riding. Collectively, these objects illustrate aspects of rural life and domestic activities undertaken most notably by Jane (Jean) Ruth Morphy Forster Rutledge (1853-1932) and her son Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge (1889-1958) during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

This collection is illustrative of broad areas of Australian social history including pastoralism, medicine and veterinary science, and domestic and recreational lives. The land at 'Gidleigh' was first granted to Admiral Philip Parker King (1791-1856) in 1834, and was subsequently purchased in 1855 by Irish settler Thomas Rutledge (1817-1904) to run sheep and cattle. The family owned and managed the property for 150 years until 2005. This collection offers significant research potential into both rural self-sufficiency, and agricultural and veterinary technologies.

Object information

Where

Back to top