Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
No related object types for the search.
This quart pot set was used by Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge.
By the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, Rutledge was already a commissioned officer of one of Australia's oldest mounted volunteer regiments, the 3rd (later 11th) Australian Light Horse. In November 1914 he left for Egypt as a member of the 7th Light Horse of the Australian Imperial Force. Rutledge returned to Australia in December 1918, after fighting in Gallipoli, Egypt and France. He turned his attention to running sheep and cattle at Gidleigh.
In 1940, with Australia again at war, Rutledge rejoined the 11th Light Horse and assisted with training new recruits at a camp on the New South Wales coast.
A metal quart pot and leather quart pot pouch set. The brown, cylindrical shaped, leather quart pot pouch has an open end and machine sewn seams. There is one strap that wraps around the pouch and fastens at the front with a one prong buckle. There is a second over strap that is riveted to the main pouch and is fastened at a second matching buckle also at the front. At the back, one strap is adjustable with a single prong roller buckle and the second is attached with a rivet and fixed in place. The back straps also have bag snap hook fasteners attached to the end and there is a D-ring attached via a strap stitched to the base of the pouch. A cylindrical, black and grey metal quart pot with a detachable lid. There are metal wire folding handles at the back and a rounded lip, soldered flat base and wire handle on the lid. The grey enamelled surface is worn and discoloured black.
This collection comprises over two hundred objects belonging to the Rutledge family of 'Gidleigh', a pastoralist property first established near Bungendore, NSW, in 1855. The collection includes tools used for agricultural practices, animal and household management, and equipment used for fly-fishing and horse-riding. Collectively, these objects illustrate aspects of rural life and domestic activities undertaken most notably by Jane (Jean) Ruth Morphy Forster Rutledge (1853-1932) and her son Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge (1889-1958) during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
This collection is illustrative of broad areas of Australian social history including pastoralism, medicine and veterinary science, and domestic and recreational lives. The land at 'Gidleigh' was first granted to Admiral Philip Parker King (1791-1856) in 1834, and was subsequently purchased in 1855 by Irish settler Thomas Rutledge (1817-1904) to run sheep and cattle. The family owned and managed the property for 150 years until 2005. This collection offers significant research potential into both rural self-sufficiency, and agricultural and veterinary technologies.
H 160mm x Dia 130mm
The collection spans the late nineteenth to mid twentieth centuries.
The collection is associated with three generations of the Rutledge family.
This collection was used at 'Gidleigh', near Bungendore, NSW.