Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Fishing flies in a SSS cigarette box

2005.0105.0215

Request photo

Fishing flies in a SSS cigarette box

Object information

Description

This box of fishing flies belonged to Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge, who was a keen fisherman. During the 1930s, he and some friends spent some time camping and indulging his passion for fly fishing for trout near the Crackenback river in the Snowy Mountains in New South Wales.

Physical description

A group of approximately 68 fishing flies in a grey rectangular cardboard cigarette box with a flip top lid. The flies vary in size, colour and type. The dark grey label on the box lid has an image of a cigarette placed between the letters 'SSS'. Below this tradmark, a light grey label is adhered to the lid with the text 'S Sparling / TOBACCO IMPORTER / Box no 3737 S.S. / G.P.O. Sydney. / Distributors / ANTHONY HORDERN & SONS LTD'. The text '44 / 4' in a circle is stamped in blue ink on the underside of the base of the box.

Statement of significance

This collection comprises over two hundred objects belonging to the Rutledge family of 'Gidleigh', a pastoralist property first established near Bungendore, NSW, in 1855. The collection includes tools used for agricultural practices, animal and household management, and equipment used for fly-fishing and horse-riding. Collectively, these objects illustrate aspects of rural life and domestic activities undertaken most notably by Jane (Jean) Ruth Morphy Forster Rutledge (1853-1932) and her son Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge (1889-1958) during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

This collection is illustrative of broad areas of Australian social history including pastoralism, medicine and veterinary science, and domestic and recreational lives. The land at 'Gidleigh' was first granted to Admiral Philip Parker King (1791-1856) in 1834, and was subsequently purchased in 1855 by Irish settler Thomas Rutledge (1817-1904) to run sheep and cattle. The family owned and managed the property for 150 years until 2005. This collection offers significant research potential into both rural self-sufficiency, and agricultural and veterinary technologies.

Object information

Where

Back to top