Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
No related object types for the search.
This box of fishing flies belonged to Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge, who was a keen fisherman. During the 1930s, he and some friends spent some time camping and indulging his passion for fly fishing for trout near the Crackenback river in the Snowy Mountains in New South Wales.
A square red cardboard box with a white label attached to a removable lid. The black printed text on the label reads 'JM Gillies / TROUT FLIES / COLLEGE CRESCENT / CARLTON / MELBOURNE, N.3 / Telephone ----- F3707'. The letter 'T' is also handwritten in crayon on the label. On the side of the lid there is a white label attached with the text 'NAME Peacock & Red Beetle QUANTITY 1 doz SIZE 5' printed and handwritten in black ink. Inside the box is lined in cream paper and contains thirteen fishing flies. Three of the flies have a cream label attached through the hook with the handwritten text. The first reads 'ALDER (RED)', the second 'PY BROWN BEETLE' and the third 'BUTLER'S KILLER'. The feathers on the unlabelled remaining flies differ in colour, the first is green, the second is red and the third is brown. The remaining seven flies are black and red in varying size and amount of feather attached.
This collection comprises over two hundred objects belonging to the Rutledge family of 'Gidleigh', a pastoralist property first established near Bungendore, NSW, in 1855. The collection includes tools used for agricultural practices, animal and household management, and equipment used for fly-fishing and horse-riding. Collectively, these objects illustrate aspects of rural life and domestic activities undertaken most notably by Jane (Jean) Ruth Morphy Forster Rutledge (1853-1932) and her son Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge (1889-1958) during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
This collection is illustrative of broad areas of Australian social history including pastoralism, medicine and veterinary science, and domestic and recreational lives. The land at 'Gidleigh' was first granted to Admiral Philip Parker King (1791-1856) in 1834, and was subsequently purchased in 1855 by Irish settler Thomas Rutledge (1817-1904) to run sheep and cattle. The family owned and managed the property for 150 years until 2005. This collection offers significant research potential into both rural self-sufficiency, and agricultural and veterinary technologies.
W 55mm x H 18mm x D 55mm
The collection spans the late nineteenth to mid twentieth centuries.
The collection is associated with three generations of the Rutledge family.
John Malcolm Gillies (JM Gillies), College Crescent, Carlton, Melbourne manufacturer of fishing flies
This collection was used at 'Gidleigh', near Bungendore, NSW.