Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Fishing line in box

Object information

Description

This box of fishing line belonged to Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge, who was a keen fisherman. During the 1930s, he and some friends spent some time camping and indulging his passion for fly fishing for trout near the Crackenback river in the Snowy Mountains in New South Wales.

Physical description

A set of fifteen packets of fishing line, an empty packet for fishing line, a square white cardboard box with a removable lid and a cream envelope. The coloured label on the lid of the box has an illustration of a kingfisher sitting on a branch with the text 'THE KINGFISHER / Double / Tapered / No.3 / TROUT LINE / 30 YDS. The envelope has the text 'Level 9/4/33' handwritten in pencil in the proper right hand top corner. The fishing line packets are translucent with thirteen packets that have the text that partially read 'Milward's / REDDITCH ENG. / "RED LOOP" / ...' in red and black printed ink. One packet has the text that partially reads '... Ogden Smiths / LIMITED / DRY FLY SPECIALISTS / ...' printed in green ink and the other packet has the text that partially reads '... / HARDY BORTHERS, (ALNWICK,) LTD / ...' printed in black ink.

Statement of significance

This collection comprises over two hundred objects belonging to the Rutledge family of 'Gidleigh', a pastoralist property first established near Bungendore, NSW, in 1855. The collection includes tools used for agricultural practices, animal and household management, and equipment used for fly-fishing and horse-riding. Collectively, these objects illustrate aspects of rural life and domestic activities undertaken most notably by Jane (Jean) Ruth Morphy Forster Rutledge (1853-1932) and her son Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge (1889-1958) during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

This collection is illustrative of broad areas of Australian social history including pastoralism, medicine and veterinary science, and domestic and recreational lives. The land at 'Gidleigh' was first granted to Admiral Philip Parker King (1791-1856) in 1834, and was subsequently purchased in 1855 by Irish settler Thomas Rutledge (1817-1904) to run sheep and cattle. The family owned and managed the property for 150 years until 2005. This collection offers significant research potential into both rural self-sufficiency, and agricultural and veterinary technologies.

Object information

Where

Back to top