Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
L 350mm x W 50mm x D 135mm
A Colt Model 1851 Navy six shot revolver with a steel frame and barrel, stamped on the top "-ADDRESS SAML' COLT NEW YORK CITY" and has wooden grips. It retains 80 percent of the naval battle cylinder scene. The butt strap and trigger guard are silver plated brass that is worn. Serial number "11967" marked on the barrel, frame and trigger guard. It is accompanied by a leather holster and label referring to the bushranger incident.
The Springfield Collection comprises about 1550 artefacts from Springfield station, south of Goulburn. It includes colonial era costume, a bushranger medal, surveying instruments, a late-19th century landau, firearms and edged weapons, wool samples and Joseph Foveaux's pocket watch and bible. The objects are complemented by over 400 photographs. This diverse collection reflects the growth and economic success of the property, responses to changes in the wool market and the daily lives of the people who have lived on Springfield.
Springfield has grown from a 518-hectare land grant given to William Pitt Faithfull in 1828 to the current 3183 hectares with ownership remaining in the one family. William Pitt Faithfull established the Springfield Merino Stud in 1838 with ten rams selected from the Macarthur Camden Park stud. The stud evolved slowly over the years until the early 1950s when, under the management of Jim Maple-Brown, a scientific approach to wool-growing was adopted and the stud's name was changed to Fonthill to reflect this.
Date of production
Circa 1855. Attributed by consultant Bob Courtney, Dec 2007.