Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
Larger images unavailable
Brown paper sleeve with circular window at centre with text, "HEAR YOUR / RECORDS / AT THEIR BEST / ON THE / NEW / "His Master's Voice" / INSTRUMENTS" and illustration of portable gramophone at centre, partly obscured by cut of window. Note in blue pencil "1492". Stamped on both sides in blue "For the latest Records, / WERTHEIM PIANO COY. / (AUSTRALIAN) / 440 - 442 Queen Street, / BRISBANE." Reverse " "His master's Voice" / INSTRUMENTS / for / PERFECT REPRODUCTION OF EVERY NOTE" and illustration of gramophone cabinet with open doors at centre, partly obscured by cut of window.
The Rev. J.W. Schomberg Collection consists of a home-made gramophone, four boxes of gramophone needles and thirty-five records, all dating from the early 1930s. The gramophone's cabinet was constructed by Junius Schomberg, from silky oak wood, in imitation of those available through retailers in the early 1930s. What is most unusual about this gramophone is that Schomberg has used a giant whelk shell as an amplifier, hidden within the cabinet.
Between August 1921 and his sudden death on 5 February 1936 at the age of forty-five, Junius was superintendent of the Mission for Pacific Islands and based at the Torres Strait mission of St Paul's on Moa Island. The collection's significance lies in its close association with the Schomberg family's time on Moa. The collection demonstrates Junius's resourcefulness and adaptability and the broader cultural life of a missionary at this time.
W 310mm x H 305mm x D 2mm