Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Commemorative stand displaying three World War Two artillery shells

1998.0028.0021

Request photo

Commemorative stand displaying three World War Two artillery shells

Object information

Physical description

Stand displaying three artillery shells. The display stand consists of a wooden block with three circular recesses on top to hold the shells. Three metal plaques are screwed onto the front. Brown felt is glued to the underside of the stand. The first shell is a 25 pounder, proofed (fired). The shell has a copper coloured rifled (notched) driving band and a grey nose fuse with "MFR 6/43" stamped across it. "25 Pr / ID 42 2 / SAR" is stamped into the base. The second shell is an 18 pounder with a copper coloured driving band and brass coloured nose fuse. "18Pr / 1C / BS / SAR / 519 /8.41" is stamped into the side of the shell. The plaque relating to this shell on the display indicates that it is the 500 000th 18 pdr Q.F. H.E. Streamline Shell Mark 1.C. produced at Islington Annexe 9-8-41. The third shell is a 25 pounder with a copper coloured driving band and brass coloured nose fuse. The plaque relating to this shell on the display stand indicates that it is the 1000 000th 25 Pdr Shell".

Object information

Back to top