Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Varnished cedar cabinet in two sections, made for the GPO Sydney when it opened in 1874

1999.0013.0076

Request photo

Varnished cedar cabinet in two sections, made for the GPO Sydney when it opened in 1874

Object information

Physical description

Varnished cedar cabinet in two sections. The top section has a door on the right side with a keyhole and a glass pane which opens outwards allowing the centre panel with two glass panes to slide across , which in turn allows the left door with a fourth glass pane to open outwards. It contains two shelves, one of which is not attached. The area below the shelves is divided into three compartments and a label on the loose shelf reads "Cedar bookcase, stamped "VR 1874". This bookcase probably formed part of the original furniture when the first section of the GPO opened in September 1874". "J6" is engraved on the upper left side and "VR Sep 1874" around a royal crown, below. The bottom section has a door on the right with keyhole and a silver skeleton key, it opens outwards allowing the middle panel to slide to the right, which in turn allows the door on the left to open outwards. It contains one shelf. "VR Sep 1874" is engraved around a royal crown on the left side of the cabinet, along with "J41".

Statement of significance

This collection consists of 87 items from the New South Wales historical section of Australia Post. The items range from furnishings that were used for the opening of the Sydney GPO in 1874 to telephones, signs, posters, and postal boxes. The material covers a period of over one hundred years of postal service in Australia.

Object information

Back to top