Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
Varnished cedar writing desk with a large drawer above two cupboard doors. Within the large drawer are six smaller ones as well as five compartments. The front of the drawer unlatches via two small brass buttons, to become a flat writing surface inlaid with a leather-look fabric with a floral border motif. Inside the lower cupboard are two shelves. Engraved on the left side of the cabinet around a royal crown is "VR Sep 1874", and on the right is "B5". Both sides have a white sticker with "HF 19 (49)" written in black. Engraved on the front right side is "P154". Carved scrolls are positioned on either side of the cupboard doors. The top of the cabinet is wooden with two glass fronted doors. Carved wooden scrolls are attached on either side of the doors and "VR Sep 1874" is engraved around a royal crown on the lower left side. A white sticker with "HF 19 (49)" written in black is positioned on the lower right side, above a smaller label "Y416 49". The two handles from the large drawer and one handle from one of the smaller drawers have broken off and are contained in the small lower right drawer along with a silver coloured stationery clip.
This collection consists of 87 items from the New South Wales historical section of Australia Post. The items range from furnishings that were used for the opening of the Sydney GPO in 1874 to telephones, signs, posters, and postal boxes. The material covers a period of over one hundred years of postal service in Australia.
W 1390mm x H 1500mm x D 545mm
Period of use
Place of use
Bought expressly for the opening of the GPO Sydney in 1874