Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Pyrex brand baby feeding bottle

2005.0105.0040

Pyrex brand baby feeding bottle

Object information

Description

This baby's feeding bottle was used at Gidleigh station, near Bungendore in New South Wales.

Isolated pastoral properties like Gidleigh station had to be self-sufficient and this extended to administering basic first aid and medical treatment. During an era when the nearest doctor would have been located some distance away, in this case Queanbeyan, property owners kept a stocked medicine chest and supplies on-site to manage 'everyday' health issues, from broken bones to respiratory ailments and other common maladies.

Physical description

A clear glass hexagonal baby's feeding bottle with cast text on the sides and underneath. The brand 'PYREX' is cast on the side of the bottle and is placed vertically and horizontally with the letter 'R' at the crossing point in the centre. On the other side there are measurement lines with numbers ranging from '1' at the bottom to '7' at the top. The text 'MADE IN ENGLAND' is cast on the base. Inside the bottle the glass has surface dirt.

Statement of significance

This collection comprises over two hundred objects belonging to the Rutledge family of 'Gidleigh', a pastoralist property first established near Bungendore, NSW, in 1855. The collection includes tools used for agricultural practices, animal and household management, and equipment used for fly-fishing and horse-riding. Collectively, these objects illustrate aspects of rural life and domestic activities undertaken most notably by Jane (Jean) Ruth Morphy Forster Rutledge (1853-1932) and her son Thomas Lloyd Forster Rutledge (1889-1958) during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

This collection is illustrative of broad areas of Australian social history including pastoralism, medicine and veterinary science, and domestic and recreational lives. The land at 'Gidleigh' was first granted to Admiral Philip Parker King (1791-1856) in 1834, and was subsequently purchased in 1855 by Irish settler Thomas Rutledge (1817-1904) to run sheep and cattle. The family owned and managed the property for 150 years until 2005. This collection offers significant research potential into both rural self-sufficiency, and agricultural and veterinary technologies.

Object information

Where

Back to top