Jump to content
Where our stories come alive
This coach was made in Scotland some time before 1821 for the Rankin family of Bathurst. It was given to the Royal Australian Historical Society by Mr WS Hodge in 1925 after having belonged to his family for over 60 years and is said to be the oldest vehicle of its kind surviving in Australia. The first Australian coach was imported by Governor King in 1800.
Wooden horse-drawn coach, painted black, with four wheels and mudguards. Hinged doors to left and right, and fold-out steps. Interior with padded, leather-covered bench seats facing front and back. The Coachman's seat is mounted exterior, front. There is a seperate piece of leather upholstery that was once attachedto the drivers seat. There are also three leather straps and a large screw with three washers hat also part of the coach.
The 'Royal Australian Historical Society collection no. 1' consists of a Cobb & Company (?) 'Concord' coach (including swingle trees, travelling trunk and supporting archival documents) which was used to transport mail and passengers across the Liverpool plains during the 1880s. This collection also includes an early nineteenth-century landau known as the 'Ranken Coach', which was first owned by George Ranken, a prosperous Scot who settled in Bathurst during the 1820s. It is believed to be one of the oldest surviving horsedrawn vehicles in Australia.
This collection demonstrates the important role horse-drawn vehicles played in Australia's transport and communications history. As representative of both prestigious vehicles used for recreation and as a reflection of status as well as the vital role played by coaches in establishing communication systems across the country, these rare examples offer significant research potential in an examination of nineteenth-century transport, engineering and society.
L 3970mm x W 1810mm x H 2080mm
Period of use
Imported the coach for his personal use
Undertaker who acquired the coach from Ranken in 1861
Undertaker who acquired the coach in the 1880s and used it for forty years
Acquired the coach in the 1925
Place of use