Menu toggle

National Museum of Australia

Where our stories come alive

Collection Explorer

4

Club used by Jimmy Clements, Lachlan River, New South Wales

1985.0059.0136

Club used by Jimmy Clements, Lachlan River, New South Wales

Object information

Description

A list that accompanied the Milne collection on its arrival in Canberra has the following entry for 1985.0059.0136: 'Nulla used by "Jimmy Clements", Lachlan River, N.S.W.'. Clements, a Wiradjuri man, is renowned as being one of the two Aboriginal men present at the opening of Parliament House in Canberra in 1927.

Edmund Milne (1861-1917) was born in England and emigrated to Queensland with his parents 19 months later. He had had personal contact with Aboriginal people throughout his life, from when he was a small boy in Queensland and, from the late 1860s, in New South Wales. This contact may have led him to recording the names of Aboriginal people associated with particular objects in his collection, at a time when this was rarely done. Milne seems to have begun actively collecting Indigenous artefacts in the early 1880s and was still acquiring objects a few months before his death in 1917. His work with the NSW Railways (1876-1917) enabled him to meet a broad range of people who facilitated his collecting and associated activities like visiting Aboriginal sites. From at least the time he lived at Orange NSW (1906-1915), and later at Ryde (1915-1917), near to Sydney city, he displayed his collection at his home. In addition to a large collection of Aboriginal artefacts, Milne's collection included artefacts from the South Pacific and prehistoric implements from Egypt, France and England. In his will dated 12 December 1916, Milne bequeathed his ?Anthropological collection? to the ?first Federal Museum opened in the Federal Capital?. The collection remained at Ryde until early 1931 when it was acquired by the Australian Institute of Anatomy in Canberra. It remained there until the Institute's collections were transferred to the National Museum of Australia in 1985.

Physical description

A cylindrical wooden club, with a bulbous head ending in a point. The shaft tapers at the proximal end to a blunt point, and the surface is smoothed and polished. Tool marks are evident on the surface, and there is a significant crack in the head, continuing through to the distal end of the shaft.

Object information

Back to top